A start on the 2nd section of my Whitework sampler – Hardanger. I have not tried this technique before, so I had to do a sample first. Out came a book I bought a year of so back, called Creative Hardanger, and I did some internet research as well, and here is my initial trial.
Hmmmmmmmm. I think it’s pretty obvious which piece was my very first attempt at hardanger! 🙂
But I learned quite a bit about tension in that messy patch at the top, so tried again, and I was quite pleased with the results. I think that I can combine these elements into a pleasing design for my sampler. I want it to fill a space abot 10 x 21cm (4 x 9 inches).
I made a start on the hardanger section on Saturday – and learned the hard way about the importance of careful and accurate counting, I did a scalloped satin stitch border around the hardanger section, only to find the 4th edge didn’t match up to the first. Grrrrrrr. Much unpicking ensued
Couldn’t do any stitching on Sunday though, as I cut my thumb and my whitework would have become redwork LOL.
So I have been designing the hardanger section, using Excel. Here is what I came up with. I wonder if the finished item will look anything like it! I am not yet sure whether to include couple of pastel colours of keep it completely white.