Here is my piece for the very first challenge from the Needlepoint Group at the community for fibre and textile artists, Stitchin Fingers.
The challenge was to stitch this piece , a free download from the American Needlepoint Guild, though of course we could choose our own colours, size, threads and even stitches. Really the only requirement was to keep the same “log cabin” outlines and I guess, to use 3 shades of two different colours.
I stitched it on linen as I am not keen on using canvas when some threads remain exposed, and that is the case with this design. I also changed a few things (I am not very “good” at following patterns; I don’t think I ever followed one exactly because I keep thinking of things I would prefer to do differently). I used a multi-coloured metallic with a fair bit of turquoise (to see it more easily, click on the picture then choose all sizes, the ‘original’ size gives an extreme close-up view) DMC floss and Perle, and a variegated turquioise floss. There are 2 areas where I changed the stiches entirely – immediately to the left of the cross, and the vertical area on the right hand side. I see that the scanner has caught my block looking not quite straight – please excuse that!
This was a fun challenge, and being “allowed” to change the stitches gives the opportunity to try out some design skills and make it more personal.