So of course I am going to make a needlepoint cover. 🙂
I will do it the style that Jean Hilton made popular with her piece called Puzzle, and then her Puzzle Purse. I found I really enjoy this sort of stitching when I did the Puzzle Purse and I also used this style when I made my needlepoint box.
So, here’s the first step:
I’ve outlined the area to be stitched with crosses, and then stitched some diagonal lines in smyrnas, creating simple shapes. I have no idea yet, which stitches I will use to fill in those shapes – I will just decide when I get to each one.
My threads… Mostly DMC threads – perle 5 & 8,, and floss. There are also some fabulous metallics that Jan from StitchLady very kindly sent to me.
And so to the fun bit…
I’m sorry it’s such an out-of-focus shot so that you cannot see the stitches well. I will try to do better as I stitch more. I would try to describe them, but I’m not very hot on stitch names… I tend to just stitch them without bothering about what they are called.
So that’s the start of my new book cover. As I progress, I will try to explain my thinking, and why I choose particular stitches. I love reading things like that on other people’s blogs so I shall try to do it too.